April 15 Filing Deadline Reminders
April 13, 2015
This is a reminder that the federal filing deadline for individual returns is this Wednesday, April 15, 2015.
April 15 is also the deadline for the following:
- Filing an automatic six month extension (Form 4868) – Remember the six month extension is for filing the return only. Any tax due must be paid by April 15, 2015 to avoid any penalty and interest.
- First individual estimated tax payment for 2015
- Making a contribution to an IRA for tax year 2014
- Filing federal partnership tax returns (Form 1065)
- Filing estate or trust income tax returns (Form 1041)
Also, for returns rejected on April 15, 2015, the return will be considered timely filed if it is retransmitted and accepted by April 20, 2015.
The original filing deadline is later for the following taxpayers:
- U.S. citizens and resident aliens who live and work abroad, as well as members of the military on duty outside the U.S. have until June 15, 2015 to file. Any tax due must still be paid by April 15, 2015.
- Members of the military and others serving in Afghanistan or other combat zone localities can wait until at least 180 days after they leave the combat zone to file returns and pay any taxes due. For more details see Extensions of Deadlines on page 24 of Publication 3 (Armed Forces’ Tax Guide).